Tuesday 2 February 2010

Perspective

I'm pretty active on facebook and have a friend list that hovers around 350 (not that I really know them all). I notice that the total number changes constantly as I add people or take them off, people will also decide to 'unfriend' me - it happens.
Over the weekend I was catching up with my facebooking when I suddenly realised that someone had 'unfriended' me but the point was that it was one of the people who was very important to me. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go about this person moving out and it in no way changes the love and respect I have for them but I have to admit that my heart sank at that moment.
Literally a minute after my son called me over to see a message on his FB. The message told us that his friend's grandad (a family friend) had died. He had a fast acting cancer and was in his 60. Perspective time. He is gone, his family and friends will not see him again.Ever. My friend has just moved if I ever really need to ask or say something I can find many ways of doing so and the friendship hasn't died, it's just sleeping.I am happy for my friend that they are able to make changes and happy for us both for the good things we have shared.

2 comments:

KB said...

I used to get really upset if someone unfriended and stress out over what I had done etc. Those were in the days when the net was my life. Now I have other priorities I realise that we are all in the same boat. Many times I think the reducing of friends lists and such is just a way of organising our time better. It doesn't mean you have done anything wrong...people just have different priorities in life.

Toadee said...

I agree that life isn't all about the net and I accept that people have differing priorities but this one still puzzled me because it was someone I thought I had a pretty good dialogue with.
Ah well, life is about what's up front not what's behind :0)